Updated September 2022
Synthesis offers legal, professionally guided psychedelic retreats in Amsterdam. We are committed to supporting the psychological and physiological safety for all who participate in the retreats. The purpose of this policy is to outline our COVID-19 protocols, and the subsequent requirements of all retreat participants, so informed decisions are made about participation.
All group retreats carry inherent risks, including those associated with COVID-19.
While we cannot guarantee that our retreats are without some level of risk, we believe that our protocols balance our collective responsibilities to minimize viral transmission while providing an environment that supports creative breakthroughs and the exploration of consciousness.
As a global community we understand that there is a wide range of expectations regarding COVID-19 protocols. Each country has a unique set of guidelines, testing resources, and cultural norms. For the sake of clarity and consistency, all participants must follow the protocols outlined below, regardless of their vaccination status or testing protocol that they have adhered to prior to traveling to the Netherlands.
By participating in a Synthesis retreat, you agree to follow the COVID-19 protocols as outlined. If you feel that you cannot safely adhere to these protocols, or if you prefer to postpone your retreat to a later date, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
NOTE: As the impact(s) of COVID-19 on travel and travel-related expenses are still highly variable, we recommend that everybody regardless of their vaccination status, purchase COVID-related travel insurance.
what to expect at the retreat venue
The retreat you are scheduled to participate in is located in the Netherlands. Synthesis adheres to the regulations for Contact Based Professions. In addition to these regulations, Synthesis is committed to the additional safety protocols as follows:
- Synthesis will conduct a health screening and temperature check for all retreat participants and staff prior to entering the retreat space.
- Increased cleaning protocols with hand sanitizer and disinfectant supplies located in every room.
- Please note that the shower and bathroom facilities are shared. Additional measures are being taken by the venue to ensure daily multiple routine hygiene cleaning of the showers and bathroom facilities.
- Frequent cleaning of surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and high-traffic surface areas.
Expectations of Retreat Participants
We understand that minimizing transmission of COVID-19 is a shared responsibility between the Synthesis staff and retreat participants. We appreciate your commitment to the additional safety protocols outlined below in an effort to support a safe experience for all participants.
Planning Your Travel to the Netherlands
- Make all travel arrangements - allowing time for necessary tests.
- Synthesis requires a negative NAAT (PCR) test result based on a sample collected not more than 24 hours prior to the start of your retreat.
- If you have had Covid in the last 30 days and are concerned about still testing positive on a PCR test, you may submit a negative antigen test result instead (vs. a NAAT PCR test), provided the following conditions are met:
- The antigen test must be based on a sample collected not more than 24 hours prior to the start of your retreat and certified by a lab. Please note self-test results will not be accepted.
- You must present a dated proof of infection certificate from a lab confirming that you tested positive for COVID-19. (Please make sure to submit your test result and proof of infection certificate from a lab (if taking an antigen test) to the community manager prior to arriving at the venue by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The positive test result from above must have been received at least 11 days prior to the start of the retreat.
- Gather information regarding all other travel requirements as dictated by various government agencies.
- Travel & Medical Insurance (covering Covid-related cases) is recommended in the event that your plans are disrupted by a positive Covid test during travel.
- Arrive at the venue between the designated time window of 11:00 and 12:00. Early arrivals to the venue will not be permitted.
- Schedule all necessary tests.
- You will be required to take a NAAT (PCR) test or an antigen test (in case of a recent Covid-19 infection within the last 30 days) not more than 24 hours prior to the start of your retreat. Please note that if you are unable to present a valid test result, you will not be admitted to the venue & cannot participate in the retreat.
- Please make sure to submit your negative test certificate and proof of infection certificate from a lab (if taking an antigen test) to the community manager prior to arriving at the venue by emailing email@example.com
- If a participant tests positive for COVID-19, they will not be admitted into the venue and cannot participate in the retreat. All costs associated with COVID-19 positive quarantine, accommodations, transfers and travel are the responsibility of the participant. In addition, no retreat tuition refunds will be granted due to a COVID-19 positive test, although we will maintain a credit on file for your tuition that you can apply to a future retreat.
- Review the Synthesis Pre-Visit COVID-19 Screening
- Prior to travel all participants must complete the Pre-Visit COVID-19 Screening no sooner than three (3) days prior to the start of your travel. If you answer yes to any of the screening questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be advised that you might be asked to reschedule your retreat date accordingly.
Upon Arrival into the Netherlands
- Minimize high-risk activities during the time between taking the COVID-19 Diagnostic test and arrival at the venue.
- Follow social distancing recommendations.
- Wear a mask if social distancing is not possible.
- Minimize contact with other individuals as much as possible.
Upon Arrival at the Venue
- Present proof of a negative test result based on a sample collected no more than 24 hours before the start of the retreat:
- NAAT (PCR) for most participants
- In case of a recent Covid-19 infection within the last 30 days, please present:
- Proof of infection certificate from an official lab (within the last 30 days but at least 11 days prior to the start date of the retreat)
- Antigen test
- All participants will be required to submit to a temperature check upon arrival administered by members of the Synthesis Team.
- If a participant tests positive for any COVID-19 PCR Test or they have a fever higher than 100.4 degrees fahrenheit (38 degrees celsius) they will not be admitted into the venue and cannot participate in the retreat. All costs associated with COVID-19 positive quarantine, accommodations, transfers and travel are the responsibility of the participant. In addition, no retreat tuition refunds will be granted due to a COVID-19 positive test.
- The retreat check-in process which may include additional questionnaires or protocols required by the retreat center.
- Participate fully in the retreat experience.
- Synthesis is committed to creating a container that supports physical, emotional, and psychological safety. Synthesis retreats are a sensory experience. Our retreats are considered a contact-based service. As such, there will be times where it’s not feasible to enforce the 1.5 meter social distance protocol. To offer care and support, and to facilitate the safety of the retreat participants, facilitators may come in close contact with retreat participants through touch. The thorough testing and sanitation process prior to entering the retreat is designed to allow participants to fully participate in the Synthesis retreat experience.
- Supporting an environment of psychological and physiological safety is paramount to a successful retreat experience. In order to fully support participants during transformational experiences, facilitators will need access to view the full face of the participants in order to read micro-expressions. As such, it is essential that the facilitators can see the full face of the participants. Therefore, masks will not be worn during the truffles containing psilocybin ceremonies.
- Be prepared to wear a mask when/if required
- Masks may be required based on the protocols of the venue (ie: in dining areas and high traffic spaces). Additional guidance on mask wearing will be provided at the retreat center.
- Masks will be provided by Synthesis if deemed necessary.
- Support a Safe Retreat Environment
- All retreat participants and facilitators share a mutual responsibility to support a safe environment. By attending the retreat you agree to adhere to the standard safety protocols which include, but are not limited to:
- Washing your hands regularly.
- After an activity outdoors.
- Before meals.
- After meals.
- After a bathroom visit.
- After touching your nose, eyes, mouth, ears, private bodily areas, or any other bodily fluids.
- Using paper tissues after blowing your nose.
- Touching as few things as possible with your hands.
- Keeping your personal belongings in your room.
- Only bringing your personal belongings when necessary (ie: notebooks, pens, phones, etc).
- Bring concerns to a member of the Synthesis Retreat Team
- If you experience any concerns regarding your safety or the safety of others as it pertains to COVID-19 during the retreat, please speak with a member of the Synthesis Retreat Team.
Departing the Retreat
- Plan to remain at the venue until closing circle is complete.
- Due to the design of the retreat, it is important that all participants remain fully active until the end of the retreat. All participants are expected to participate in the closing ceremony, which concludes at 16:00 on the last day of the retreat.
- Participants are responsible for all necessary arrangements for their return home, which may include additional testing requirements. Please plan accordingly.
- Please email email@example.com should you experience any concerns following your departure from the retreat.
We look forward to welcoming you and supporting you on your retreat journey.